Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Runnin'


Zephyr and Astro have been having lots of fun in the forest this summer.  I haven't been very good about remembering to bring my camera or sharing the pictures when I do.  But, these are pictures from a morning hike that we did a few weeks ago.  The boys had a great time running and playing.

Zephyr is doing great.  He's very happy and healthy.  He's off all medication except his seizure medicine, generic Keppra.  Back in late March and late April he did have two funny episodes that were partial/focal seizures.  He was actually still taking a little prednisone back then.  Luckily they were small.  The first happened when we were in the backyard.  I looked over and he was walking funny and I could tell his muscles were contracting, etc.  I guided him in the house, he was aware and able to walk up the deck stairs.  I had him lie down and he was conscious enough to follow my directions.  His eyes were dilated and he was anxious for a few minutes, but then he was fine. 

The second seizure in late April was even smaller.  The only reason I noticed it was because he was laying on the couch with his head on my lap.  I was rubbing his ears and heard a very faint wince from him.  Then a few seconds later I noticed he was curling his head and neck under and toward the side.  At first I thought he was just enjoying the ear rub, but then I noticed a muscle in his right shoulder was twitching and I saw that his face muscles were contracted causing him to have pursed lips (which has happened in the other partial seizures).  I slid to the ground and saw that his eyes were dilated too.  It lasted a minute or so, but that was it.  He wasn't anxious after and didn't even bother to get off the couch or even change positions.  I don't know what caused these, sometimes I wonder if it could have been a side effect of the seizure medicine.  For people it says Keppra can actually cause a change or increase in partial seizures.  He had never had any of these types of seizures before switching to Keppra.  These are the only two I saw, but who knows what happens when I'm not home.  Luckily nothing came of them though and they didn't get worse. 


My dream is that Zephyr will live a long happy life.  Everyday I am thankful that he is still with me.  When I hear of friends losing their dogs suddenly and too young, recently Song at Graceful Greyhounds, I can't believe how close we came to that and what an amazing recovery he made.


Astro and I have been in two other agility trials and have done well.  I'm saving that fun for another post.

We're also in an Advanced Rally class right now hoping to be able to enter some Rally trials at the advanced level this fall and winter.


Zephyr and I took a Rally class and it was so fun to be out doing something together again.  We've taken Rally before, but I have to admit it's just not Zephyr's favorite.  He does have fun though and I'm trying to get him out to practice and have fun more.  You're looking a pictures of him doing his favorite thing.  Well, it would be even better for him if there was some sort of wild animal, or plastic bag, out in front for him to chase. 

I love this picture of him turning.


Happy late summer to everyone!

10 comments:

houndstooth said...

I love those pictures of them running together! I'm so glad you still have your boy with you. When he was so sick, it was hard to imagine that he could recover so fully!

What Remains Now said...

What wonderful pictures. The pups look like they're having so much fun.

Declan said...

You couldn't wish to see two happier more healthy looking boys! Deccy x

Sue said...

Hope those seizures are very few and far between.

Loving the photos of the boys running and enjoying themselves.

Thanks for thinking of me and Song.

genji said...

Such happy boys, doing what they love best. Maybe they could hold the Rally class in the woods.

Claire Krigbaum said...

Such fun they get to have with you!
I am so glad that he is still with you and that he is thriving. It really does seem like a miracle that he bounced back like he did. At my work I see so many pets who get sick and then never leave our clinic, it's very hard to watch.
I can't wait to hear about Astro's agility!

Angela J. said...

What fun they have together!

Sue aka Greyhound Lover said...

Brilliant photo's you tell tell just how much fun they're having!

Love and hugs Sue and the Taylor pack plus Belle

James said...



Hi – Will you please post a link to your Blog at The Greyhounds Community? Our members will love it.
Members include: Greyhound Owners, Breeders, Clubs, Rescues and Lovers
It's easy to do, just cut and paste the link and it automatically links back to your website…. You can also add Photos, Videos and Pup Classifieds if you like. It’s free and easy.
Email me if you need any help or would like me to do it for you.
The Greyhound Community: http://www.vorts.com/greyhounds/
Thanks,
James Kaufman, Editor

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

It's virtually a miracle Zephyr survived his encephalitis and it's so wonderful to see him so healthy and happy now:) You should give yourself many pats on the back for your love and dedication to getting him through that!

Beryl is the same, she would far rather be running (preferably chasing something!) than doing Rally or anything much else:)