Pages

Saturday, July 10, 2010

!Surprise!

Zephyr and I ran our first agility trial yesterday!  Did we qualify? No.  Did Zephyr make sure that everyone knew what an awesome runner he is by zooming around after the very first obstacle?  Yes.  But, Oh my gosh, it was so fun!!!  There is a NADAC (North American Dog Agility Council) trial in Parks (just west of Flagstaff) this weekend.  We entered Touch N Go for yesterday evening.  Unfortunately I don't have any pictures.  I was too nervous to think about asking anyone and I think all my friends were too interested in seeing how it would go. :-)  It was definitely "Touch N Go".  Zephyr went through the first hoop and then took off.  He did a run around the ring with me of course calling him.  When I went by the judge I embarrassingly said, "Sorry, this is our first time".  So, Zephyr comes back up towards the start and I call him and he looks at me and starts to come.  I ran and put him in the second obstacle, a tunnel.  When I realized he was taking the tunnel I thought to myself, "OMG, you better RUN to keep him together and get him through this!"  So, that's what I did and it was great!  He was with me pretty much the whole time after that.  Instead of the Dog Walk he took the tunnel that went right next to and under it.  But that was okay,  I didn't really give good direction, and my goal was to keep him with me.  One time he looked like he might be looking away, I really called him and clapped and in the tunnel he went.  So, we made it through some curvy tunnels and back to the A-Frame.  I didn't get to the end of the A-frame to get his contact and call him over to the tunnel on the right so he went ahead and took the tunnel that was more in front of him.  That was okay, I just ran to the end of that tunnel, called him, and we ran over through the finish together.  I was/am so happy and proud of Zephyr.  Zephyr was also Very happy and proud of himself!  It was great to hear people clap and be greeted by friends on the way out.  I was just smiling and laughing in amazement.  There was a time that I really didn't know if we'd ever even get to this point.  Zephyr is my first dog, so he has the disadvantage of learning from someone who is also learning.  Many thanks to everyone, especially Cristine, for all your help and encouragement!  Obviously we have lots to work on, but this is already a bit of a dream come true.  Today I am taking Zephyr and Astro just to watch and hang out.  Tomorrow I think we'll try Tunnelers.  Stay tuned. ;-)

3 comments:

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

LOL :-) Would have loved to have seen that. Hopefully next time!

Aragon greyhounds said...

Way to go! Wish I could have been there to watch and cheer you on. So few greyhounds doing agility but now we are getting a handful. It is so fun compared to obedience. Hope to see you enter an AKC trial as well. Who knows in addition to Jen and I maybe you will have a new title soon.

Hiking Hounds said...

Thanks! I still can't believe how fun it was. It turns out there was a photographer so I'll have some pictures soon. Today we're going to try Tunnelers.

Caron