9 hours ago
Saturday, March 19, 2011
I've found out that Zephyr has encephalitis (swelling in the brain). On Thursday I took him to the veterinary neurology center in Phoenix because of symptoms he was showing. It looks like it is not caused by an infection based on MRI, blood work, etc. But she wasn't able to get spinal fluid because of concern about the amount of inflammation, that would confirm an infection. He was given steroids to reduce inflammation. He did really well the first night, but started having seizures about 5 or 6 Friday morning. He had many seizures yesterday. Something had to be done so he started on chemotherapy yesterday about 5:30 p.m. That reduces the inflammation, but it is a risk if he does have some kind of infection. Today the only seizure was about 4 a.m. unless he's had one since I left about 4:30 p.m. Today he could barely wake up and he can't stand. He can take some water and chicken puree when it's squirted on his tongue. And once he got really upset and was barking, howling/crying out, and kicking his front legs. I was holding him then. The Dr. said that's likely from his brain trying to "reboot" and his confusion, maybe from coming out of the sedation and seizure medicine, etc. I don't know how this will turn out. Sorry I can't give more information now, but I just wanted to let you all know. Needless to say I am extremely scared. This is a huge shock. If you would keep Zephyr in your thoughts and prayers I would really appreciate it.